The sacrament of baptism is offered during Sunday services, where the entire community celebrates the initiation of new members into the Christian faith and receives them into the household of God. Infants, children, and adults are baptized, and often several candidates are baptized together.
- Who can be baptized: All are welcome to be baptized. At St. John’s, infants, children, and adults are baptized, and often several candidates are baptized together.
- What is required: You do not need to be a member of St. John’s, but you will need to:
- Meet with clergy to discuss baptism.
- Complete the registration form at least two weeks in advance.
- Attend a brief run-through before the service.
- Upcoming dates for baptism: All Saint’s Sunday (November 6, 2016), Baptism of Our Lord (January 8, 2017), Sunday after Easter (April 23, 2017), and Pentecost (June 4, 2017). <or link to events tagged baptism?>
There are no fees for baptisms. Contact the church office for more information.
Marriage is the Holy Sacrament through which two persons exchange vows before family, friends, and members of the congregation gathered to witness and pray. At St. John’s, the rite of marriage is available to all couples, regardless of gender.
- What is required: Pre-marriage counseling is required, as well as a meeting with the clergy and a wedding rehearsal.
- Facilities available: St. John’s offers beautiful settings for weddings, with a capacity of 400 in the Nave of the Church and 50 in St. Mary’s Chapel. Receptions may be arranged in the Parish Hall.
- Event support: Several groups at St. John’s support weddings: the Altar Guild, the Flower Guilds, the Director of Music Ministries, and wedding coordinators.
Contact the church office for available dates, fees, and other information.
Funerals and Memorial Services
The burial or memorial service is a time for gathering together to provide comfort in the face of sorrow and loss and to celebrate God’s gift of the life of the departed.
A death in the family can be reported to any of the clergy; please call the church office. Clergy will assist with funeral or memorial plans.
- Facilities available: St. John’s offers beautiful settings for funerals or memorial services, with a capacity of 400 in the Nave of the Church and 50 in St. Mary’s Chapel. Receptions may be arranged in the Parish Hall.
- Funeral support: Several groups at St. John’s support funerals and memorial services: the Altar Guild, the Flower Guilds, and the Director of Music Ministries.
- Columbarium: St. John’s offers space in the columbarium in our Memorial Garden for the interment of ashes of members and their immediate families.
Contact the church office for funeral planning, fees, and other information.