The Opportunity Shop is a nonprofit thrift and consignment shop in downtown Bethesda (Chevy Chase). St. John’s Norwood Parish sponsors the “Op Shop” to benefit our community and charities.
We sell donated and consigned (click here for guidelines on consigned items):
- Clothing and shoes, jewelry, purses, scarfs and accessories
- Baby equipment (but not toys)
- Art, framed pictures, decorative items, pottery, and seasonal decorations
- Linens, quilts, curtains, rugs
- China, glassware, silverware, pottery, pots, pans, kitchen equipment
- Lamps, chairs, mirrors, tables and other household furnishings
Visiting the Op Shop
- Location: 4504 Walsh Street, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815
- Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Closed Sunday and Monday)
- Public Transportation: Redline Bethesda Metrorail and RideOn Bus Route 34
- Public Parking: Montgomery County Parking Lot 10 right across Walsh street
- Map and directions: Click here.
Contacting the Op Shop
- Op Shop Phone: 301-654-4999 or Op Shop Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come volunteer with us. Gain retail experience – or use the experience you already have. We need clerks, cashiers, sorters, taggers, wrappers and helpers to greet our shoppers, donors and consigners. Students in Montgomery County Public Schools are eligible to earn student service learning (SSL) credits by volunteering at the Op Shop.
Donors Welcome Tuesday through Saturday
Bring your donations to us after 10:00 AM and before 4:00 PM. We provide dated receipts for donated items. We reserve the right to decline any items for donation for any reason. Note that we do not accept electronics or toys. All donations must be in sellable condition – clean and not broken or missing pieces.
Consigners Welcome Tuesday Mornings until 11:00 AM
We accept up to 10 items from each consigner on Tuesday morning. Drop in 8:00-9:00 AM, or call at 8:00 AM for an appointment later that morning. One of our volunteers will meet with you to evaluate your items, decide how each item will be priced and write a consignment contract for you to sign. When consigned items are sold, consignors receive 60% of the sale and 40% goes to support our charitable operations. After a month we return any unsold items to consignors.