Thank you to everyone who participated in the Serving Seniors Ministry‘s Navigating Life’s Changing Seasons series, and to Joanne Allen, Earle O’Donnell, Cathy O’Donnell, Suzanne Welch, and Sarah Reynolds, who organized this most interesting and useful series.
We encourage you to bookmark this page of resource links, and to share the link with family members or friends, as a good way of starting a conversation about these issues.
Session 1: Practical Preparations: Directives, Powers, Wills, and Trusts
Session 2: Financial Planning for the Long Term and Protecting Your Savings from Financial Fraud
- Recording link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le3b2GqS9LI
- PDF document: Financial planning
- PDF document: Family inventory
- PDF document: Funeral planning
- Book: The Other Talk, mentioned by Melanie, is published by AARP and available at various retailers.
- Book: I’m Dead Now What?, which can be purchased on Amazon
- A good daily money manager: Leah Nichaman. She and her team help people with a myriad of personal bookkeeping/ administrative duties.
- Link for credit freeze details: consumer.ftc.gov/articles/what-know-about-credit-freezes-fraud-alerts
- Link for Maryland Project Safe initiative: dhs.maryland.gov/office-of-adult-services/project-safe/
Session 3: Worth and Purpose through all Life’s Seasons
- Recording link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEdaaoazG8&list=PLuSBBGZt5juLMccpFAgWBBb361kcXvZET
- Book: Living on the Border of the Holy, by Bill Countryman. Sarah recommends this for its discussion of spiritual maturity and embracing our own individual gifts and ministries.
- Book: Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life by Richard Rohr. This is great for exploring a spirituality of being vs doing, or, in other words, of inherent worthiness.
Session 4: Care Management for Older Adults
- PDF document: St John’s funeral planning document