This year’s Renewal Sunday, on September 10, is the kick-off to our year-long celebration of St. John’s 150 years of service to the community! Our 150th theme is Acknowledging our past. Embracing our future and we are celebrating the year with Joyful Noise, Prayer, and Purpose. The goal of all three components is to bring people together in fellowship and community, and enhance the worship experience. With close to 50 events scheduled throughout the year, we have something for everyone!
- Day of the Dead/Dia de Muertos: Two events will introduce us to this Mexican holiday. The first is a screening of Coco, the Disney classic on Friday, October 27 at 6 pm. with pizza and skeletal face-painting! Then the 10:00 am forum on Sunday, October 29 will focus on the holidays of Hallowe’en, Day of the Dead, All Souls, and All Saints: what they have in common, and how they are celebrated in different traditions.
- Church Consecrations in the Middle Ages and Renaissance: An Art and Music Presentation by Art Historian and parishioner Joanne Allen, PhD, and colleagues will be the focus of the 10:00 am forum on November 12.
- The Jason Max Ferdinand Singers: This internationally celebrated Black choral group will perform in concert in the Sanctuary on Saturday, March 9 at 7:30 pm.
- The Piscataway Nation Singers & Dancers: Celebrate Earth Day at a special Town Hall on April 21 and learn how a Native American Land Acknowledgement—given in the spirit of respect, reciprocity, and truth—honors our theme of Acknowledging Our Past.
- Gay Men’s Chorus: Two ensembles from this DC choral institution will perform in the Sanctuary on Saturday, November 18 at 7:30 pm.
- Wednesday Evening Lay-led Services: These services will be led by Ann Ramsey-Moor and Walter Smith and held throughout the year. Some will be “instructed services” that teach how and why these liturgies are celebrated in the Episcopal tradition.
- “Finding Common Ground” Town Halls: Featuring prominent guest speakers, the series–produced by former Warden Lisa Raisner—will be held certain Sundays, from 1:00 to 3:00 pm and will focus on issues important to our church and the community we serve. Town Halls will be paired with service opportunities for both individuals and families.
- “St. John’s Got Talent” Show: Parishioner Dan Ran will play Simon Cowell as host to this major showcase of in-house talent on Saturday, April 20 at 7:00 pm. Open mike tryouts will be held in the two preceding months.
Meanwhile, mark your calendars for Renewal Sunday, September 10 for our big Anniversary Kick-Off event and Ministry Fair. More info to come!