During its January and February 2023 meetings, the Vestry of St. John’s approved:
- The creation of a new Governance Coordinating Committee (GCC), a standing committee of the Vestry charged with ensuring continuity and consistency across other committees and St. John’s operations. The GCC will inventory all standing and ad hoc committees and working groups; review structure and membership; identify gaps; develop roles and responsibilities; review and streamline governance across funds; update or draft charters and policies, as necessary; and, make recommendations to the Vestry for updating St. John’s bylaws.
- A resolution to the Joyful Noise Music Fund to honor the original intent of the donor and ensure that the Fund will not be used to defray annual operating expenses associated with our music program.
- The purchase and installation of a new system to provide air-conditioning and heating in the Lounge, using $7,000 from Property Reserves.
- A new Charter for the Capital Needs Discernment Committee (CNDC). The CNDC has been reconvened to review and revise as necessary a pre-pandemic plan and recommend next steps to the Vestry for investments that will ensure our property is capable of meeting our mission.
- A revised Statement on Racial Justice and Equity: Beliefs, Acknowledgement, and Action, now retitled as A Faith-Driven Response to the Legacy of Slavery and Racism. A revised Preamble clarifies that this document is intended as a living statement of St. John’s commitment to respond to the particular history and legacy of chattel slavery in the United States and its impact on our Black siblings, while acknowledging that many others in our society have also suffered great injustice which we also pledge to faithfully address. It is intended to be a source of optimism, aspiration and change.
- A new Charter for a Racial Justice & Equity Committee. The Committee replaces the Racial Justice & Equity Task Force and reports to the Justice and Outreach Committee (JOCC). The new Committee is open to all parishioners.