We are happy to announce that the St. John’s Drama Troupe has been awarded a grant of $500 from the Norwood Parish Fund to provide seed money for this new ministry. This will help cover expenses such as the cost of purchasing scripts, royalty fees for performances, costs associated with costumes and props, as well as rental of sound and lighting equipment as the Church has no performance venue at this time. The Drama Troupe has met and drafted the following mission statement:
The Drama Troupe produces and performs readings, plays, musicals, and, when appropriate, enhances the worship service. The Troupe uses the dramatic arts to foster:
- individual growth and well-being,
- healthy and holistic relationships,
- inter-generational connections,
- meaningful interactions across societal strata, and
- dialogue about faith, justice, and the human condition.
The Troupe is open to all members of St. John’s and the community it serves.
Drama Troupe co-founders Emily Morrison and Rob Hartmann were invited to perform a reading of the classic The Night Before Christmas at the December 15, 2019 Christmas Carol Potluck & Sing-a-long. They’ve been asked to revisit their fun and festive reading at this traditional holiday event again this year!
Following is a summary of current and future activities:
- This year, members of the Drama Troupe will be reading the Passion according to Matthew at the 9:00 am and 11:15 am services on Palm Sunday;
- Working with Karl Robson, director of Music Ministries, we are planning a concert version of Gilbert & Sullivan’s HMS Pinafore to be presented during several performances in the late spring that will involve both the adult and youth choirs;
- We are planning our first full-scale drama production in the fall of 2020, using the stage in Hines Hall. Among the plays under consideration is the Pulitzer Prize-winning Our Town by Thornton Wilder;
- We also are reviewing a number of scripts for public readings such as The Laramie Project or the seasonal favorite, It’s a Wonderful Life.
All Are Welcome: We will publicize and hold open auditions for members of the church and our greater community for our fall and future productions. We invite you to join us as we launch and grow this new drama ministry at St. John’s!