Summers at St. John’s are just as lively as the rest of our year together.
10 am Worship Service: From mid-June through August, our regular 9 am and 11:15 am services are combined into one dynamic worship service at 10 am. This service is followed by games for kids and lemonade on the lawn. Our 8 am and 5 pm worship services continue throughout the summer and the rest of the year.
While church school, adult educational forums, and 3rd Sunday Suppers go on break, we continue to worship God, enjoy fellowship, and build community throughout the summer:
- Intergenerational pick-up choir, Sundays 10am – A casual choir of year-round and summer-only singers meets at 9:30 around the sanctuary piano, learns the music for the day with Music Director Anne Timpane, and then leads the singing at our 10 am summer worship service.
- Camp Joy – The youth group and adult volunteers set off in July for a week-long mission trip to Camp Joy in the Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia, joining groups from other churches to repair houses for the needy. Our parish sends them off in a special Sunday service.
- Strawberry Festival – At this July event you’ll find us celebrating the fruits of summer together on the lawn after our 10 am Sunday worship service, enjoying strawberry shortcake and other treats of the season.
- Youth Group beach weekend – Our youth group spends a weekend of summer sun together at one of the region’s many beautiful beaches.
- Tending the gardens – St. John’s gardens thrive in the summer, thanks to the Property Committee and the many volunteers who turn out for the committee’s summer Beautification Days.
- Getting ready for fall – The summer is a time of preparation. St. John’s many volunteer ministry leaders create plans for the year, and the Vestry establishes the first draft of the annual budget. Church School Director Nancy Derr recruits dozens of talented volunteers who will teach our 200+ children during church school (beginning each fall).
- September Renewal Sunday – We all look forward to Renewal Sunday, when we join together at a special 10 am service to celebrate the end of the summer and the start of church school, fall educational forums, and other activities that so enrich our lives.