The Opportunity Shop is a nonprofit consignment and thrift store in downtown Bethesda-Chevy Chase. St. John’s sponsors the Op Shop as an Outreach Ministry to benefit our community and charities.
What We Sell at the Op Shop
We sell donated and consigned items:
- Clothing and shoes, jewelry, purses, scarfs and accessories
- Baby equipment (but not toys)
- Art, framed pictures, decorative items, pottery, and seasonal decorations
- Linens, quilts, curtains, rugs
- China, glassware, silverware, pottery, pots, pans, kitchen equipment
- Lamps, chairs, mirrors, tables and other household furnishings
We do not sell:
Visiting the Op Shop
- Location: 4504 Walsh Street, Chevy Chase, MD 20815 | View in Google Maps
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Closed Sunday and Monday)
- Public Parking: Montgomery County Parking Lot 10 directly across the street
Contacting the Op Shop
- Phone: 301-654-4999
- Email: email@example.com
Donating to the Op Shop
- When: During regular business hours Tuesday through Saturday
- What: You may donate any of the items listed in the What We Sell list. All donations must be clean with no broken or missing pieces. We reserve the right to decline items for donation for any reason. We will provide you with a dated receipt for your donations.
Selling Items on Consignment
- When: Visit us on Tuesdays between 8:00 and 9:00 am or call for an appointment later that morning.
- How many: We accept up to 10 items from each consigner.
- Process: One of our volunteers meets with you to evaluate your items, decide how each items will be priced, and write and consignment contract for you to sign. If an item does not sell after a month, we return it to you.
- Split: You receive 60% when an item is sold. The remaining 40% goes to charities that St. John’s supports.
Volunteering at the Op Shop
Gain retail experience – or use the experience you already have. We need clerks, cashiers, sorters, taggers, wrappers and helpers to greet our shoppers, donors, and consigners. Students in Montgomery County Public Schools are eligible to earn student service learning (SSL) credits by volunteering at the Op Shop.