St. John’s Opportunity Shop (Thrift Store)

Op Shop Reopens!!

Transformed to accord with CDC guidelines, the Opportunity Shop stands ready to reopen on an adjusted schedule! The shop will welcome high-quality DONATIONS beginning Tuesday, July 14, from 9:00-1:00 pm. Drop off any time but follow social-distance markings on the walkway. Thereafter, donations can be brought to the side door of the shop every Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday mornings. Signs will point the way. Wear a mask and bring your treasures in paper bags or boxes that you can put directly on shelves rather than unpacking individual items.

Early donations, and items already at the shop, will be processed for a GRAND OPEN-AIR FAIR on Saturday, July 18, from 9:00-1:00 pm. The Open-Air Fair will be repeated on Saturdays through the month! It will take place in front of the Op Shop at 4504 Walsh Street, Chevy Chase. You’ll find all manner of bargains, from clothes and jewelry to household items and small furniture!

We ask your patience as we gradually reopen and test our new safety-first operating procedures:

  • No consignments, please, until a later date.
  • Indoor shopping is not available at this time.

Help us get the Op Shop back on its feet as a community service! Bring all those treasures you have collected during months at home that will have strong resale value.


The Opportunity Shop is a nonprofit consignment and thrift store in downtown Bethesda-Chevy Chase. St. John’s sponsors the Op Shop as an Outreach Ministry to benefit our community and charities.

What We Sell at the Op Shop

We sell donated and consigned items:

  • Clothing and shoes, jewelry, purses, scarfs and accessories
  • Baby equipment (but not toys)
  • Art, framed pictures, decorative items, pottery, and seasonal decorations
  • Linens, quilts, curtains, rugs
  • China, glassware, silverware, pottery, pots, pans, kitchen equipment
  • Lamps, chairs, mirrors, tables and other household furnishings

We do not sell:

  • Toys
  • Electronics

Featured Item

Vintage yellow ware pottery, bean-pot and bowl

Posted by St. John’s Opportunity Shop on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Visiting the Op Shop

  • Location: 4504 Walsh Street, Chevy Chase, MD 20815 | View in Google Maps
  • Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Closed Sunday and Monday)
  • Public Parking: Montgomery County Parking Lot 10 directly across the street

Contacting the Op Shop

Donating to the Op Shop

  • When: During regular business hours Tuesday through Saturday
  • What: You may donate any of the items listed in the What We Sell list. All donations must be clean with no broken or missing pieces. We reserve the right to decline items for donation for any reason. We will provide you with a dated receipt for your donations.

Selling Items on Consignment

  • When: Visit us on Tuesdays between 8:00 and 9:00 am or call for an appointment later that morning.
  • How many: We accept up to 10 items from each consigner.
  • Process: One of our volunteers meets with you to evaluate your items, decide how each items will be priced, and write and consignment contract for you to sign. If an item does not sell after a month, we return it to you.
  • Split: You receive 60% when an item is sold. The remaining 40% goes to charities that St. John’s supports.

Volunteering at the Op Shop

Gain retail experience – or use the experience you already have. We need clerks, cashiers, sorters, taggers, wrappers and helpers to greet our shoppers, donors, and consigners.  Students in Montgomery County Public Schools are eligible to earn student service learning (SSL) credits by volunteering at the Op Shop.