Experience great music at St. John’s – four choirs, handbells, a 3,000-pipe organ and instrumental solos will delight your ears and lift your spirit. Join one of our choirs, or just enjoy from the congregation.
All are welcome!
- Alleluia Choir – Children and adults, from 3rd grade to parents and other adults, sing traditional music – and occasional gospel and international songs – at the midmorning Sunday service. Rehearsals Tuesday 7-8 pm.
- St. John’s Choir – Adult singers of all levels join a core group of professional singers at St. John’s late morning Sunday service. Rehearsals Thursday 7:30-9 pm.
- Primary Choir – Children K-2 learn the building blocks of music through games, movement, and singing. They sing at the midmorning Sunday service several times during the year. Rehearsals Tuesday 4-4:45 pm.
- Children’s Choir – Children in grade 3 and above focus on skills needed to be a successful singer and leader of worship. The choir sings in church once a month at the midmorning Sunday service. Rehearsals Tuesday 5-5:45 pm.
- Norwood Ringers Handbell Choir – An intergenerational group of musicians of all levels plays solo handbell pieces on special Sundays throughout the year. Rehearsals Thursday 6-7:15 pm.
Children’s Christmas pageant and musicals
Every year children and teens in St. John’s church school program perform in musical celebrations, building lasting friendships while they glorify God in song. Children age 5 through 2nd grade shine in a yearly Christmas Eve pageant telling of the birth of Christ. Other classes perform a musical each spring – past productions include Godspell and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. St. John’s Church School Director Nancy Derr leads these productions, assisted by our Director of Music Ministries Anne Timpane, who teaches and directs the music.
Our organ and pianos
Instrumental solos and ensembles
Musically gifted members offer solos on the cello, piano, flute and other instruments on special Sundays. Professional musicians – from trumpet to bagpipe – join us for Christmas, Easter and other celebrations. New volunteers are always welcome.
Concerts & recitals
We sponsor concerts for all ages in our worship space. Each year we host a variety of organ and choral programs and concerts for families. Our annual “Broadway and Chocolate” concert is particularly popular!
Renting space for concerts
Our beautiful Georgian-style worship space, with one of the region’s best organs and wonderful acoustics, makes St. John’s a popular venue for choral and other music concerts. Contact the Music Director if your group is interested.
Contact Music Director Anne Timpane -Tel: 301-654-7767 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org