Music is an integral part of St. John’s worship. Parishioners and visitors alike share in our inviting liturgy and the welcoming spirit offered by those who sing or ring as part of our music leadership community. We have singing choirs for all ages, a handbell choir which adds its unique musical contribution to our worship, and opportunities for instrumentalists of all ages to make a joyful noise to the Lord.
What We Do
- Primary Choir: for children in Kindergarten through second grade. The choir works on songs and anthems to sing in church, but the main focus is on learning and enjoying music together.
- Children’s Choir: for children in grades three and above. Each rehearsal focuses on the skills needed to be a successful singer and leader of worship.
- Alleluia Choir: a multiage ensemble for adults and children in grades three and above. Rehearsals include work on basic skills, musical preparation for services and special events, and, of course, lots of singing. This choir sings each Sunday at our 9:00 a.m. service.
- St. John’s Choir: dedicated men and women who enjoy singing and worshiping together along with professional singers who provide support and leadership. This choir sings each Sunday at the 11:15 a.m. service.
- Norwood Ringers: our mixed-age handbell ensemble performs several times during the year. No previous ringing experience is necessary, only a willingness to listen and learn.
- Instrumental solos and ensembles: Musically gifted members offer solos on the cello, piano, flute and other instruments on special Sundays. Professional musicians – from trumpet to bagpipe – join us for Christmas, Easter and other celebrations. New volunteers are always welcome.
To support our music ministries, we have a 3,380-pipe organ, built in 2008 by the renowned Berghaus Pipe Organ Builders, and a 2007 Mason & Hamlin BB grand piano.
How You Can Get Involved
If you’d like to learn more about any of our musical offerings or would like to find out how you can share your musical experience with our congregation, contact Sonya Sutton, our Interim Director of Music Ministries.