Make a Difference
At St. John’s, we believe that we are called to be witnesses to the love of Christ, and that this translates into making a positive difference in the world, both within and beyond the walls of our church.
What We Do
- Within our parish: We care for our parishioners in need throughout their lives, from ministering to new parents to bringing the elements of communion to parishioners who are unable to attend services. St. John’s also has an active lay ministry that provides caring and support for those experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
- With our neighborhood: We actively engage with residential neighbors, planning officials, and developers on strategies for urban growth that enhance and protect our community. We also support a non-profit consignment and thrift shop in the neighborhood, St. John’s Opportunity Shop.
- Within our community and region: St. John’s parishioners volunteer with several community organizations to provide food, clothing, shelter, furniture, coaching, education, and other support to help the hungry, homeless, and disadvantaged people in our community. For example:
- Teams of parishioners regularly provide, cook, and serve meals at a large soup kitchen in Silver Spring and two shelters in Bethesda and Rockville.
- We also provide breakfast for the homeless each weekday in downtown Bethesda.
- We form teams to furnish apartments for refugee families and others in need in our region.
- In the world: St. John’s parishioners have made two pilgrimages to the Holy Land and formed the Holy Land Committee to support peace and justice in the Holy Land by, for example, sponsoring educational forums, selling fair trade olive oil from Palestine, and raising funds to help hire medical personnel at an Episcopal hospital in the West Bank.
How You Can Get Involved
Whether at home, school, work, in the car, or at the grocery store, being a witness to the radical love and grace of God is what we strive to do. At St. John’s, we believe that we can make an even bigger difference together. Opportunities to “Make a Difference” range from one-time service, such as volunteering to serve a meal for the homeless, to an ongoing commitment with one of our Outreach ministries.