UPDATE: Our complete forum schedule is now available.
Welcome to St. John’s Fall Adult Forum series! This season we have a speaker line-up designed to continue to push our faith community toward action and engagement during a time locally and internationally that seems so dark:
- Immigration policies that isolate the world’s most vulnerable
- A rapidly growing economic divide
- Extreme weather and faltering climate change initiatives
- Absence of civil discourse in government
- Rising religious and racial intolerance.
It can be hard to keep despair at bay.
But as Clarissa Pinkola Estes reminds us in her essay We Were Made for These Times, “Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world all at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.”
Join us each Sunday this fall as we stretch out and tangibly build skills for engagement, deepen our understanding of key issues, and identify more ways that we can meaningfully affect positive change.
Adult Forum Schedule
- September 17: Rector Sabbatical Recap
- September 24: Episcopal Relief and Development
- October 1: Alleviating Suffering in Palestine
- October 8: Going Green: One Family’s Success with a Zero-Energy Home
- October 15: Brookings Fellow and author of Dream Hoarders, Richard Reeves
- October 22: Congressman Jamie Raskin
- October 29: A Radically Different Approach to Peace-Building
- November 5: Making College a Reality
- November 12: An interfaith panel on millennial engagement
- November 19: Action In Montgomery engagement training
- December 3: Ray Suarez, Broadcaster, Lecturer & Visiting Professor of American Studies, Amherst
- December 3: St. John’s next steps to support refugees in our community.
- December 10: A visit from our friends at the Islamic Community Center of Potomac
Download our Fall 2017 Adult Forums Flyer
For inspiration, take a few minutes to read We Were Made for These Times. “There can be no despair when you remember why you came to earth, who you serve, and who sent you here.”
We look forward to seeing you Sunday mornings at 10:00 in the Parish Hall.
Amy Houser and Lisa Raisner
Coordinators, Adult Forum, Fall 2017